Thursday, August 28, 2008

So Many Opinions

October is quickly approaching and I feel very unprepared. This baby is going to depend on Brian and I for everything from food, to sleep, to her name, bath time and I am just not ready.

Brian and I knew that we wanted to name this little one Kate from the time we knew we were having a girl. It was the only name that Brian and I liked together. We didn't want Kathryn, Kaitlyn, Katie, but we wanted Kate. Now we have to come up with a middle name. Brian and I like Mae, Kate Mae, but we have been getting some harassment from my parents, especially my Father. For example,"Kate Mae do this, or Kate Mae not do that." We have tried other middle names, but we like Mae.
Then, I have struggled with finding the right crib and the bedding. I know that Kate won't care what her crib looks like or what color her bedding is, but I care. The crib has to last a long time, match with other furniture, not be too girlie or to boyish but be just right. I think that I have found a crib. I like the dark color and the reviews say that the bed is sturdy. However, my mom says, "It looks like a circus cart." Oh boy, here comes the opinions. (If you notice Brian's family have not expressed any opinion, just my outspoken family.) Now comes the problem with the bedding. I am not a baby pink fan so the pastel pinks are definitely out of the question for any bedding or any decorations in the room. There is not much out there in the world of bedding that I would consider "fun". I selected a bedding from Target that has bright colors; red, blue, yellow and lime green. I love lime green, but supposedly it is not girlie enough for some people. What is the problem here people? It's just bedding.
The next decision with lots of input is whether to breast feed or bottle feed. St. Mary's, the hospital where I will be delivering, is all about breast milk and I think has convinced me that I need that "bonding" with my child. However, Brian can't help with the night time feedings and I am not so sure how I feel about that. I think I will try breast feeding for the "bonding" and the price but if that fails, I am grateful for other options.
I think that is mostly what I am worried about in regards to Kate coming, not to mention we are still looking to buy our first home, but I know things will work out for the best and if all else fails, she can sleep at Grannie Annie's.

8 comments:

Ashley and Bryan said...

I think that crib is darling!

Diane Anderson said...

I just want it to be known that the mother never said that it looked like a circus cart.

Leighton said...

Hey, take it easy on your loving parents! Let's be honest, two one syllable names don't really work together. If it was a boy, would you go with Tom Bob Andersen? Ed Joe Andersen?

Kate may be a good name but Kate Mae may not be. *grin*

Tasha said...

I like your crib and your name! maybe you should just adopt me into your family :] haha

Ashley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber said...

It is hard to get everything ready for a baby. I like the crib that you picked out. We did black furniture for Makenna's crib and dresser/changing table combo, and I am glad. I have liked having the dark color. As far as breast feeding, I would recommend it. Makenna is 9 months old now, and we are still breast feeding. You can always try to have Kate take a bottle of breast milk in the middle of the night, that way Brian can help. You just need to invest in a breast pump.

Garner Family said...

We are so excited for you guys! We hope everything goes well. Hopefully Andie will get to meet her cousin sometime soon and not years down the road.

Kristy said...

Good Luck with the crib! It looks great! Not to offer more opinions on your opinion full life, but breast feeding is awesome. Those quiet times in the middle of the night when the world is still and you are alone with your baby are some of my most cherished memories. I have never tried the alternative, but I know you will find what works for you. Good Luck! I miss having you for my visiting teacher!